Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Introductions

I have long been interested in what it means to take hold of God's plan for me as a woman. From the beginning of my walk with the Lord, I have had so many questions. What does true biblical feminism look like? What does it mean that I was created in God's image? How do I wade through the murky waters of what our society says I should be while glorifying God and not alienating those who don't know Him? A (shamefully) brief survey of what the Bible says about women resulted in passages like this:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or assume authority over a man; she must be quiet." -1 Timothy 2:12
"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says." -1 Corinthians 14:34
"Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as you do to the Lord." -Ephesians 5:22

Yikes.

Bookstores and blogs weren't much more helpful. The image they give of women is that we are all naturally inclined to be demure homemakers who desire to live a quiet life serving their husband and children. Almost all of them are written to wives and mothers, and the minuscule amount that are written to single women are all about focusing on preparing yourself to be a wife and a mother. I looked for anything that would clue me in to how I was supposed to live in the condition that I was currently in. I was single, childless and trying to focus on my ministry and career, I came up empty handed.

Double yikes.

I am not demure. I am not quiet. I have a career, I drink, I swear, I watch R-rated movies. My husband and I make "That's what she said" jokes constantly. I play "Cards Against Humanity" with my friends and can usually explain what all the cards mean to people who don't know. Before I was married, I went to bars and dance parties. I stayed out late. I have done all of this while being a devoted follower of Christ.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that women shouldn't desire to be homemakers. Women should embrace their God-given desires and talents and the path that our Lord has chosen for us. That just wasn't where I was at the time.

Where are my books, blogs and articles? Where are all of the women trying to follow God who don't want to be told that they are a delicate flower? Where are the women who aren't married or who don't have children? Is my life just on hold until I have a husband and children? Do I not really start following God until I have those boxes checked off? I used to nearly give myself panic attacks wondering if I would never get married. Would my life just be an empty shell? Was God going to use me less because I was single?

I know I am not alone in this struggle. I wonder sometimes how many women run away from the good news of salvation through Christ's death on the cross and a life lived for Him because they think they will have to cloister themselves in the kitchen when a godly man finally comes along and gives them purpose.

Jesus said that He came that we might have life, and have it abundantly. My hope is that this blog will help other women, modern women find that life and learn how to live abundantly. I want women to see the love that Jesus has for them and embrace it in a way that helps them discover who they are and what God has for them. I want to show others how Christ's love can give them freedom and joy.

My name is Dana, and this is my modern love.

No comments:

Post a Comment